You probably know the symptoms of test anxiety quite well: nervousness, restless night, sweaty hands and shivers when you stand in front of the examiner’s door, or the persistently recurring thoughts of “doing wrong” in the exam, which occur long before the exam date and followed by a queasy feeling in the stomach and intestine.
This can lead to unpleasant somatic complaints. Some also suffer from sleep disorders and depressive moods. Symptoms of test anxiety are various and different, and they depend on your physical sensitivities and mental reaction patterns, in what form and how strongly you react to this test stress.
It is not just classic exam situations in which “test anxiety” symptoms appear, but in the following situations as well:
- Simple word announcements during a meeting or
- Some festive words to a member of the family, which can cause fear in many people, often even panic.
What exactly is test anxiety?
Having exam anxiety does not mean being a fearful person in general.
The result of the test will make the self-esteem sensitive if it deviates from your level of aspiration. A mediocre grade is therefore already causing some students to feel sick. In the face of this threat test anxiety is a thoroughly understandable reaction.
On the other hand, test anxiety also has positive functions: it signals various functions and draws your attention to the “dangers”. And it puts you physiologically into “combat readiness”, because it mobilizes your energies and makes you functional.
How common is test anxiety?
Only very few students never experienced test anxiety at all. About 40% of students experience test anxiety as a “big burden”. In extreme cases, students suffer from panic attacks and the feeling of being powerless.
Actors know test anxiety as stage fright, which tugs at their nerves before their performance starts. Most of them, however, do not want to miss the stage fright.
Which people are especially prone to test anxiety?
The following individual factors lead to increased test anxiety:
- The tendency to set a very high or excessive standard of performance,
- A tendency towards negative self-criticism,
- A performance motive marked by fear of failure as opposed to hope of success,
- A high degree of self-attention
Such properties are relatively stable. But can be learned to exert influence and override existing assessment mechanisms.
Your treatment for test anxiety
• 2 to 5 sessions
• Session length: 2 or 3 hour
Biodynamic – hypnotic intensive sessions for test anxiety. Those include:
o Free telephone support
o Minimum one hypnosis CD/Stick for relaxation
• Regression and analytic-conversational hypnosis,
• Work with part-personalities,
• Healing of the inner child,
• MEFT (Mindful Emotional Freedom Therapy),
• NLP (Neuro-linguistic programming),
• Energy therapy – are used depending on the problem.
o Mindful self-hypnosis, which is a highly effective self-hypnosis technique for physical and mental self-influencing results.
You can find additional information regarding methods of biodynamic hypnosis HERE. Please also note the paragraph about contraindications. Any questions? Give us a call or arrange a ½ hour free appointment.